Tuesday, March 31, 2009

At our class on 3-28 we discussed the connectionalism of our church and it elicited a number of comments - some favorable and some unfavorable. A somewhat typical complaint regarding our connectionalism is on the subject of apportionments. This is particularly a bone of contention for older, small, struggling congregations without the funds to afford a full-time pastor and often included in a circuit that does not have services at every church on any given Sunday.

I have been privilaged to work with the three churches of the Brenham Circuit (Mt. Zion, Pleasant Grove, and Richard's Grove U.M.C.) for the last two years. Pleasant Grove has services on the 1st Sunday of each month only, Mt. Zion U.M.C. has services on the 2nd and 4th Sundays, and Richard's Grove has services only on the 3rd Sunday. As you can imagine all three of these once thriving, historic churches are in serious decline and struggle to maintain their aging edifaces and pay their apportionments each year.

We know that CLMs are called to fill the clergy shortage as a low-cost alternative
for struggling churches just like these. My question is: Are we also called to be turn-around pastors, working to revive these churches in lieu of qualified clergy?
Or, are we just expected to keep the doors open until the inevitable end occurs?

1 comment:

Eric said...

I am not that knowledge about apportionments. I really believe we are called where ever the Lord calls us. At Chriesman UMC they give me $100.00 a month, but I would share the good news of Jesus Christ for nothing. I owe more to Christ than I ever could repay, so I believe it is vital to listen to God’s call no matter what. He tells us to join in where He is working, and calls us to go in His name. We never know what Christ can do but we know if He calls we are to go. I love my Pastor and I appreciate what all He is called to do. I will be there for them.