Friday, May 15, 2009

Opportunities For Service

I've been pretty much burning the candle at both ends lately, serving as pulpit supply at our church while the pastor is on vacation as well as serving another congregation outside of our denomination. But in spite of having more than enough to keep me busy I was pleasantly surprised when I received Ms. Judy's e-mail about meeting with our D.S., Rev. Joe Fort and Pastor Larry Roberman for a brainstorming session aimed at jump-starting Lott U.M.C.

I've never kept it a secret that I have a passion, not just for keeping the doors open to prevent another church closure, but reviving these old churches to become the beacons of hope and faith in their prospective communities as I believe our Lord intended. So, the news of our district leadership's concern and proposed involvement of our CLMs was just about the best thing that I've heard all year! This is an excellent opportunity for the CLMs to come together as a team and perform the service that they were called to
and provide the witness of authentic Christian action through their efforts.

My hat is off in salute to the vision of our district leadership and I sincerely hope to see everyone at the proposed meeting when it is announced.

- Peace and Blessings -

2 comments:

MTPat said...

I have to admit that the prospect of helping lead a church into renewed life and vigor in the mission God has set for us is exciting. Obviously, I know nothing about the church or its congregation, but if we are called to provide leadership and discipleship for them, it would be a blessing for all of us.

Eric said...

6:30 yesterday morning found me in my mentor's kitchen sharing a cup of tea and comparing our acts of Christian action for the week. I have a standing "appointment" with retired Rev. Calvin O. Beckendorf every Saturday just before we go off to meet with our Emmaus Reunion brothers at 7:00 AM.

I shared a little with him about the proposed strategy to use CLMs to jump-start Lott U.M.C. and he replied that that church had been his first appointment 50 years ago.
Back then it was on a two-point circuit which included Chilton, now closed.

I think that it's interesting how small our world (or at least our district) can be when you church employs an itenirant appointment system. Calvin served 22 churches beginning in 1959 and retired at his last appointment - Chappell Hill, in 1996.

Ironically, Chappell Hill was to be his first appointment but was too far away from Perkins to make a twice-weekly commute to finish his studies, so the D.S.appointed him to a closer circuit - Lott/Chilton. Calvin says that he has no regrets for the way things worked out, he figures that he was given the best for last.