Monday, June 1, 2009

New Hope In Lott, Texas

Yesterdays meeting at the West District offices was a little tense as our District Superintendant described his vision for revitalizing Lott U.M.C. This was largely due to the huge challenges facing the proposed undertaking as it appears that it will be anything but an easy task. Given it's remote location in the far corner of the district presents major logistical problems for most CLMs to participate. Combined with the fact that most CLMs are serving more or less as associates for their pastors in their own church it makes it doubly difficult to find an available Sunday to contribute at Lott. So how plausible is this proposal?

Speaking only for myself, it's going to be really tough. I have the greatest distance to cover to get to Lott of all our CLMs and I'm already working with multiple congregations. Combined with the fact that I'm gone for 13 hours a day to a Southern county making a living doesn't help matters any, either. But you know what? None of these issues are any more than a hollow excuse if it's God's will that I contribute as a part of this effort. This is the main component, that I seek His direction for my involvement.

For me, this is personal. As a 25-year veteran community leader and activist in Houston engaged in ecumenical social-justice ministries, this is right up my alley. This opportunity ignites all those burning passions in my heart to mount a crusade for (re)building the Kingdom in Lott, Texas. You may also notice from other postings at this site that I harbor strong objections to closing churches. So, the dilemma for me is not whether or not I should be involved, but rather, allowing Him to impose limitations as to what degree.

As each of you examine your own hearts and hopefully take your petitions to the Lord on this matter, know that you are not alone. We are all in this together and as result this should be viewed as a team effort. Please know also that I intend to contribute all that can to this enterprise and invite each of you to call on me as a resource in your endeavors to that end. Additionally, I plan to be in church at Lott U.M.C. for services at 9:30 on the 14th.

- Peace, Blessings & Godspeed -

2 comments:

KathyK said...

Eric,
I share your excitement about the opportunity ahead at Lott. My husband Mort and I are both from small (although larger than 800) towns and know the vitality that churches can provide a town.
I am not able to be in Lott on June 14, but I'm eager to hear your report and to be part of the team serving up there. As part of my CLM preparation, I have extricated myself from Sunday morning responsibilities at my church, and so can be absent fairly easily. I do have a commitment with Homebound Communion on 1st Sunday afternoons from 2-5 pm that I want to continue to honor. But if church is over at 10:30, it should be no problem to be back by 2 pm.

MTPat said...

I too agree that this is an exciting opportunity to serve the Lord through evangelism, my passion, and outreach. But as Brother Eric said, the challenge is large indeed. What this amounts to is a new church start by remote control. The best news is that the Marlin church and Thomas Q., a wonderful preacher and evangelist, are willing to participate. Their help will make the job much more doable with the resources we have available.

I have not, like Kathy, been able to clear my Sunday mornings, I have Praise Band obligations at 8:30,
but having my son Kevin available for some Sundays will enable me to be available perhaps one Sunday per month. I also cannot go on the 14th as that is our first dinner in the discernment series, and I am one of the planners and doers of this church wide effort. The advantage I have, is that I have some time during the week each week to coordinate some efforts, or to help develop plans, and I want to help as much as possible.

The main task at the moment, as I see it, is to pray for discernment and guidance for the team and for our own clarity of purpose. If we see that this is God's will for the Lott community, then we can do no less than give it our very best.

deColores,
Pat