Monday, June 15, 2009

Minutes of First Revitalization Meeting For Lott U.M.C.

The meeting began at 11:45 following a wonderful meal prepared by the ladies of Lott U.M.C. Rev. Joe Fort, D.S. presided at the meeting. In attendance:

Rev. Joe Fort, District Superintendent, West District
Rev. Larry Roberson, Pastor, Lott U.M.C.
Rev. Calvin Beckendorf (ret.), Brenham U.MC.
Rev. Calvin Woods (ret.), Wheelock U.M.C.
Judy Draper, Deacon, Christ U.M.C.
Gary Draper, Christ U.M.C.
Liz Williams, Marlin U.M.C.
Ann Holland Marlin U.M.C.
Olga Schlemmer, Lott U.M.C.
Betty Willi, Lott U.M.C.
James Bell, Lott U.M.C.
Irene Duncan, Lott U.M.C.
James Bryan, Lorena Baptist Church
Ron Perry, CLM candidate, Somerville U.M.C.
Eric Dehmer, CLM candidate, Chappell Hill U.M.C.

Rev. Larry Roberson extended greetings and offered the opening prayer at the request of Rev. Fort who then began the meeting with opening remarks. After introductions were made around the room Rev. Fort shared his vision of setting up a steering team for developing outreach efforts and revitalizing the Lott church. Key points made in the presentation included utilizing the steering team to:

- Develop an action plan for "building up the Body" of Lott U.M.C.
- Develop a strategy for evangelizing to area families with children
- Develop a renovation strategy for the church building using district resources
- Guide the efforts of a separate Support Team which will staff physical
projects, outreach efforts, and short-term ministries at Lott Church

Rev. Fort asked for a team of 6-7 interested volunteers to serve in this endeavor consisting of representatives of the Lott and Marlin churches and the CLMs. In the event that an adequate number of volunteers of these three groups are not forthcoming within two weeks Rev. Fort advised that they would be "called" into service. He also charged the CLMs who were present to communicate the content of this meeting with their peers in order to provide them with the opportunity to volunteer in this effort. With that he opened the floor for discussion.

By consensus it was agreed during open discussion to begin a community canvassing campaign in August as well as weekly Sunday services. Many creative suggestions were offered which will be reviewed by the Steering Team in a future meeting. Judy Draper closed the meeting with prayer at 12:30.

Respectfully Submitted,
E. Dehmer

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric, I'm sorry that I haven't been keeping up with all the conservation about the Lott church, but I am very supportive of all that is being done and will do whatever is necessary. My problem is that I don't communicate by e-mail like all of you do. I will try to start doing a better job of checking it from now on. I believe we lose a lot in just conversing by electronic media and choose to not do it because my experience is that it can be used as a "chicken way" of dealing with people. You can fire, discipline, and deal harshly with people without looking them in the eye and seeing the "real" human being that you are dealing with and see the emotion in that person. Sorry, but I think too much of this is going on and have seen some real abuses just recently, and have had to deal with it as lay leader in our local church. It almost cost us some really valuable members and the problem still hasn't been resolved as of this date. But like I said, I will try to do better. I think what you are doing is great and I support your efforts 100% and I agree with every aspect of your efforts. My phone number is 936/394-6831 at home and my cell is 979/820-0617. I'm not sure if I have yours or not, but if there is something I would like to discuss with you, I would like to do it in person, and I will. Thanks again, and keep up the good work, because believe me, you are right in line with what many of us are thinking, and want to change the UMC to what John Wesley intended our small churches to do.
Thanks again. Charles A. Wendt

Eric said...

Hello Charles,

Like you, I prefer "face-time" with those that I want to communicate with. Unfortunately, my job
keeps me away from home and in another county 13 hours a day so e-mail is my only life-line
to another world outside of the plant. Yes, I agree that electronic media has been exploited by
those seeking to absolve themselves of the responsibilies of personally dealing with people
and that sometimes proves to be a disasterous mistake.

However, the bulk of our church commnications at the district and conference level is done in
this self-same manner with great effectiveness, care, and courtesy. Like any other tools, e-mail
can be used or abused at the personal whim of any individual. But for me, it's a real life-saver.

Thanks for your phone numbers. Mine is (979) 251-7200 at home and (979) 661-0605, cell.
I would really like to invite you to join our class forum at: http://westdistrictclmclass10.blogspot.com/2009/06/little-bit-about-lott.html

Also, would you mine if I posted your email (below) on the forum for the other classmembers
to read? Hope that you have a blessed weekend -

- Peace and Blessings -

Anonymous said...

Eric, Please feel free to do so. I understand your situation completely and respect your response. Thanks again for all your efforts. Charles