Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Shared View From The Pulpit

lmaxr@aol.com 2:21 PM Reply

Hi, Eric,
Thanks for allowing me to look at your blog. I wanted to give you a little more history. I, too, believe the idea of closing the Lott church is tough to take. Yes, if the members are not financially supporting the church, it would be considered. But they are. They love their church. The thing that almost killed the church, at least their membership in the Methodist denomination, was being told that they would have two services a month, on Sunday afternoons, no less! Whatever we offer now is a gigantic improvement from that. I would not have resigned from the church if I had suspected that such an arrangement was even possible, and I have told the members this. I am committed to those people for as long as they will have me. They have been terrific role models for my children, and a loving influence for my wife and I, particularly as both of our mothers have died and the ladies are quite maternalistic to us! I look forward to your participation on June 14th, and I feel a kindred spirit with you already. I will not support the closing of that church unless it is obvious that it's time - that is, no one is coming anymore. As long as two gather in my name.... Take care!

Larry Roberman

PS The church was hosting a pancake breakfast almost quarterly until Irene fell ill. They would average 25-40 families showing up on a Saturday morning. I think that shows that there is an idea in the community that this church exists, and that there are people already a little invested in its sustained presence. Things are not as bleak as you might think, but it is a disadvantaged community.

1 comment:

LMaxR said...

well... I didn't know my letter would be published. I hope my criticism of the interim solution to the Lott pastor supply problem will be taken graciously. I am not in the position that Rev. Fort was when he had to deal with this. I do like the direction we're going now much better! Thanks.